Monday 19 February 2018

Hello Loves.....


I get asked so much about the fruit loafs that I make for Louis, so I thought I’d do a blog post and share the recipe.  
 
It all started when I found a recipe, whilst on Pinterest, but the recipe wasn’t quite right so I adapted it to suit our tastes and it’s been a hit with Louis…and Leigh for that matter, from day one, so I thought I would share it with you all too.  We went down the baby led weaning route with Louis and this was a great finger food for him, I started out making it with banana, but with Louis going off bananas every other week, he stopped eating it, so I tend to swap the banana for other fruit and it works out great….

The best part about this recipe is that there is no sugar in it other than what occurs in the fruit naturally....so its great for the babies....and us adults too!

Today, I going to share how I make it with apples as I have a lot to use up and they are one of Louis’s favourite fruits!



 So here is what ingredients you will need…..(this makes a small 1lb loaf, to make a 2lb loaf just double the ingredients up)

Ingredients
 
135 grams Self Raising Flour
 75 grams Butter
100 grams Dried Fruit (use whatever you wish)
250 grams Grated Apple (Approx 2 large apples)
½ tsp  Cinnamon

Method

Preheat oven to 180C (Fan 160c) and line your loaf tin.  

Add the cinnamon to the flour and mix together.  

Add the butter and rub into the flour mix (should look like fine bread crumbs when you have finished, see pic below). 



Beat the egg in a separate bowl and then mix into the flour mixture.  

Peel, core and grate your apples in a separate bowl.

Add the dried fruit to your grated apple and mix together.

Add the apple mixture to the flour mixture and mix together well (should be quite a stiff mixture see pic below)



Place mixture into prepared loaf tin and level the top.

Place in oven for 45mins – 1 hour.  If it starts to brown too much on top, then cover the top over.

Once cooked, remove from tin and leave to cool completely before cutting.   


When you use apples or pears, for that matter, it makes quite a dense and moist loaf compared to when you use banana….it can appear that it’s not cooked, but that is how it is supposed to be….I’ve taken a pic of the inside of both the apple and the banana loafs, so you can see what I mean. 
 


This one is the apple loaf, and as you can see its quite dense in places, but its just the apple and is fully cooked.

This was the same recipe, but using banana (I ran out of SR Flour so used plain and some baking powder, but I added a bit too much baking powder and it erupted on the top lol, hubby said it tasted OK though.lol)

....and this is what the banana loaf looks like inside.


Here's Louis tucking into the apple loaf; the apple one is definitely his favourite!

Hope that the recipe makes sense and you have fun making it! 
Any questions, just ask....please bear in mind I'm not a professional baker or anything, I'm just sharing a recipe that has worked for us and that we have enjoyed..so be gentle with me lol....



 Love Tab x



No comments:

Post a Comment